Kitchen ventilation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a question about the ventilation required in a kitchen which is fitted with a gas cooker.

The kitchen has a 3-speed extraction hood/fan fitted directly above the gas hob that vents directly through an external wall to the outside atmosphere. The fan will shift approx 130 litres per second.

The kitchen total volume is approx 35 cubic metres.

The house has a conservatory fitted. The kitchen has a door that leads into a large open-plan lounge and stairwell and another door that leads into the conservatory. The conservatory itself has 6 large opening windows and two patio doors.

The kitchen has two large opening windows;..both of which open into the conservatory.

Was advised recently (by the chap who fitted gas and leccy Smart-meters) that the kitchen should ‘probably’ have had an extra vent fitted to an external wall when the conservatory was built. Not sure when the conservatory was built,...but at least 20 years ago.

I’ve had a skim through this ‘doc’ but I’m still unsure if ‘probably’ was correct!

https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/m...-wales-iom-and-guernsey-vent-requirements.pdf

Is any extra ventilation required?...if so, what form/size should it take?

All advice gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
No you don't need any extra ventilation, what you have is satisfactory.

No openable door or window direct to outside? 'Not to current standard' i.e. Who cares?

Sponsored Links
The extractor provides the purge ventilation so openable door/window not needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back