Kitchen wall build method advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
My flat flat has a open plan kitchen/living room. The kitchen is a "L" shape at one end of a rectangular room. There is a partition wall about 700mm wide between the end of the kitchen and lounge. I have tried to upload a picture to help explain.
If I measure the partition wall on the kitchen side of the wall it's about 47mm shorter than if I measure it on the lounge side.
On my plans which I got when I bought the flat (2006). It shows that the 2 walls of the kitchen have a small void behind them.
When I remove the kitchen plinth and look at the wall behind I can see vertical baton about 47mm thick. The plaster board is screwed to this.

So it seems to me that the kitchen has been spaced off from the main wall.

I'm in the process of redesigning the kitchen and wish to remove the partition wall. But obviously will end up with a step up.

So was wondering if anyone has any advice?
For what reason are the walls spaced off?
If I remove the partition wall and strip back the kitchen wall to create one long smooth wall. Is this ok?
I just don't want to strip it back to find out there's a good reason for the walls to be like this.
There are no waste or water pipes within the void but probably cables.

Sponsored Links

thumb_smileyvault-cute-big-smiley-animated-009.gif

The picture picture doesn't show the void behind the 2 walls. It is just to show the room layout. My aim isto have the left wall as one straight wall without the partition

The picture doesn't show anything of any value - it's far too small - no bigger than the thumbnail.

Here's what it looks like when clicked on:

screenshot_24.png

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back