Kitchen wall units in plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was initially looking to use hollow wall anchors but I've now decided on another way and just wanted to check it seems okay.

I thought I'd use a strip of timber instead. So I would get the height of the units, then cut the plasterboard out horizontally (width of timber I would be using). Then cut notches on the timber I have bought so it will place over existing wall posts, and sit flush with existing plasterboard.

I was also going to be using timber around this size -

https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/product/timber-and-sheet-materials/cls-studwork-timber/c/1500004/

Does this for starters make sense, and sound like a decent way and size of timber to do this. Cheers

Sponsored Links
Excuse me, but does this follow on from a previous post? If so, where please? Or is it just me that thinks this does not make sense at all?

If you mean "How should I hang a kitchen cabinet on a plasterboard stud wall?", then the answer is as follows:

Forget bits of timber and plasterboard fixings (the latter into PB can't carry the weight). For a single cabinet you need to cut out a section of PB, install a sheet material pattress between two or more joists - for timber studwork this means 2 x 1 battens fixed to the sides of the studs and screw the pattress to the laths, for metal studs it means screwing the pattress material directly to the MF (inside the "c" of the profile), and the patress itself is a piece of 12mm OSB, plywood or chipboard (but NOT MDF). The PB is then replaced and the saw cut made good with filler. The cupboard can be hung on a pair of those little brackets, but a run of cabinets is best hung on a hanging rail fixed at as many points as you can

Last edited by a moderator:
Apologies if it doesnt make sense. I would cut out sections of timber in the link so it would fit over the top of the wooden posts in my wall, then fixing it to these posts. Then I would be able to attach kitchen wall units to this stretch of timber for a solid fixing (if that makes any more sense, if not then I'll retreat!)

Sounds like a hanging rail is a better option though?

Sounds like a hanging rail is a better option though?

If the plasterboard is fixed to studs, you can use cabinet hanging steel rail and screw it to every stud, and hang the cabs off it. I recommend painting it to match the wall, BEFORE fixing. The ends of the rail must not hang free more than an inch or two, you have to run it to the next nearest stud.

You will have to cut a small notch in the side of each cab to clear the rail. Experiment with a bit of rail and a cab hanger on the floor to get the best point.

Use the longest pieces you can get. usually 2 metres though I had some at 3 metres delivered by van.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...kw=kitchen+cabinet+hanging+rail&_sacat=177073

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
If the plasterboard is fixed to studs, you can use cabinet hanging steel rail and screw it to every stud, and hang the cabs off it. I recommend painting it to match the wall, BEFORE fixing. The ends of the rail must not hang free more than an inch or two, you have to run it to the next nearest stud.

You will have to cut a small notch in the side of each cab to clear the rail. Experiment with a bit of rail and a cab hanger on the floor to get the best point.

Use the longest pieces you can get. usually 2 metres though I had some at 3 metres delivered by van.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...kw=kitchen+cabinet+hanging+rail&_sacat=177073

I found Howdens do a 2.4mtr one (y)
849F4212-7093-4CC5-8B34-02E2C1C1473F.png

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
that's handy. What price?

I think the stocked size depends on the delivery van contract, and maximum parcel size.

With a longer piece you have more chance of avoiding a join in an inconvenient place, which would be weak point. My kitchen is 2600 wide.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back