kitchen waste does not drain away

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a mid terrace ex council built just after the war. My kitchen waste does not drain away unless I pump away with the plunger. sometimes it works a little better and sometimes like tonight. it all drained away and with the hot tap left running did not fill up drained freely.
10 minutes later would not drain again. this has been the story for ages.
i have had the pvc pipes under the sink off and they are clear-even got my carpet cleaning machine and tried sucking any blockage out.
upstairs toilet and bath on different drainpipe and run ok.
On out side of wall where pipe is old style it has about 30 inches to go before hitting ground and going under.
Also get the problem from other topic of wash mac filling sink up when emptying-yet pipes pvc pipes are clear.

cant afford plumber wife got the big C and going through chemo just now so im out of work caring for her so need to do it myself-any advice appreciated.

regards
bobski in the ****ski

Sponsored Links
It sounds likely that you have a gully blockage, or perhaps further downstream.

Where the pipe outside goes into the ground, can you see the end of the pipe, or does it just disappear into concrete?

yeah its at the back of house and the pipe goes under chips into concrete.the back area there is 3 x 2 slabs. i think the the pipe goes out from the wall for about 3 feet and heads right down a very gentle slope.
Its old council drainpipes. metal or something. around that area where the pipes head down towards neighbours and right outside where pipe is-there are two access points-i dont know what you guys call them but its the rectangular metal tops that we used to roll marbles on when we were kids. a bit biggar than an paperback book idea.I did look in one of them months ago out of curiosity and they were full of red chips-but i dont know if there is any way red chips could get into drain from there and if they would cause blockage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back