kitchen Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I just built a kithen extension, and my sparks has let me down so i attempted wiring myself. there was a junction box supplying 2 d sockets in what was a washroom, so I thought if i extended cables and re positioned these sockets it would be ok. however now that work is complete i realise that this is not on the main ring, and the fact is that my two d sockets are coming through one section of cable, being as this is a kitchen i feel that this is probably overloading the cable, especially when washing machine is on. If I disconnected the junction box and reconnected it to the main ring, wpould this be safe. there is only one ring in the house supplying 15 sockets (inc kitchen. or do I need a seperate ring for the kitchen. I hope this makes sense to somebody.
Tandy

Sponsored Links
Not recommended by IEE. Your 2.5mm ring is fused at 30A so 30A could be travelling down this extensive spur in 2.5mm cable rated at 20A in radial circuit. So whilst it is unlikely you would overload wiring it would be better to either have a separate kitchen 30A ring or 20A radial. There are three reasons. One is that when kitchen appliance goes faulty it does not blow whole house power fuse. Secondly it is less confusing for next house owner! Thirdly it allows for the possibility of using 30mA ELCB for rest of house and 100mA ELCB for trip prone kitchen appliances.

thanx for reply, would you suggest that I disconect the kitchen sockets from Junction box and run it as a ring back to a 30 amp fuse in the consumer unit or would it be safe to run it into existing ring, I know that there are advantages having a seperate ring but it would mean a lot of pathing after to create a new ring, although I feel safety is the main concern here.

Know exactly what you mean regards new channels. I have just finished cutting nice deep channel for egatube all round kitchen and replastered before fixing up superb Crabtree sockets with sculptured switches and neons. (Pricy but SWMBO loves them!)
Perfectly OK to put all in one ring. Only problem is power limit if 2.5mm wire ring at 30A/7.5Kw Just make sure you keep a simple record of wiring. Check continuity round ring with megger before you closeup consumer unit. Check all sockets wired correctly by cheap neon plugin tester.
What ELCB have you put in if any? That will rescue you whatever mistakes you do with the wiring!

Sponsored Links
thanks for putting my mind at rest , I am going to take the easy route and wire into existing ring, I have a 30 amp mcb. As you say this should rescue me, although I am confident that there are no mistakes in the wiring, just worried about overloading.
its amazing what you can do with a bit of advice of people like yourself, THANKS again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back