Kitchen wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is my first post, the existing wiring to my kitchen is a disaster and possibly dangerous, as i am fitting a new kitchen soon anyway I intend to upgrade/replace the wiring.

I am hoping that you would have a look at my wiring plan and come up with suggestions/ideas about it, so I don't look a complete idiot in front of the BCO!

Any help is appreciated.

I have called building control and intend to start work proper in may.

Sponsored Links
I don't know a thing about electrics but what i would say is don't go on the Electrics UK section as it is a hostile place.

There is no room for politeness as the place is congested with over inflated egos.

They are worse than plumbers on there!

Hmm, I'd say you have not got enough sockets there.

Its a kitchen, you'll need all the sockets you can muster.

The blender, the electric can opener, the microwave, the kettle, the fridge/freezer, the ...so on :D

Sponsored Links
if at all possible put the fridge/freezer on it own MCB. if something trips the power in the kitchen then your fridge/freezer wont be affected.

I was fitting more sockets than that back in the 70s as well as on its own ring.

i might be inclined to take the boiler onto its own rcbo (maybe just an mcb if the wiring method would permit it)
this would prevent any appliance tripping during the night and the first you knew about it would (possibly) be a cold house with no hot water. Unpleasant on a cold winter morning

As mentioned above, i would opt for more sockets then you think is really necessary. We also charge our phones in the kitchen, so theres another double outlet in daily use.

Are you aware of the requirements regarding RCD protection for buried cables and socket outlets? Is your bonding up to scratch?

Apologies in advance if you are aware but these are things that are often overlooked by DIYers.

As for the electric forum (or 'troll central') being hostile, yip, thats right. There is one character in particular who has a widespread reputation for being somewhat obnoxious :D

(edit: just noticed the date of the OP, guess i missed the boat this time :( )

I was about to say... this thread is coming on to two months old :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back