Reposted from Building Regulations and Planning Permission

Or increase the size of your cable, depending on the load

I've been looking at the sort of double ovens I'm likley to buy, they all seem to pull less than 20 amps, so i think I'll be okay.

if i split off the boiler and the fridge freezer that should leave a toaster and a kettle as the only thinks that pull any real power from the ring.

Is that right?

Sponsored Links
If you do consider installing a RF circuit, bear in mind 433.1.5 (iii) found in Appendix 15 p362.

That's better, however are you aware of the requirements for non-RCD protected cables?

To achieve your non-RCD radial for FF and boiler, the cable must either be
Surface mounted
In steel conduit
Have an earthed metallic covering (ie SWA, pyro, or Ali-tube)

If you don't want to do any of that then just use an RCBO - it'll still be on an RCD, but not with other circuits.

I really really don't like ring final circuits, especially in a kitchen. How are the loads going to be physically located around the room (we can see the W/M, but what about the toaster, microwave, kettle, George Formby grill etc)? If they are evenly split, how about using two 20A radials? This will mean there's no chance of overloading the cables, either with bad load spreading or a break in a ring, and will make adding extra sockets etc in the future MUCH easier.

Good luck with the BCO mate - take 'em to court if you need to.

Sponsored Links
As I hinted at earlier, I would fit dedicated radials for all equipment 2kW+ and radials for the rest.

Thanks guys, building control also wrapped the electrics notice in with the building notice I put in this morning so thats a fee saved.. thank you all. Really, with regards to the wiring, I have 2 critieria, what will make the bco happy, and be safe, then I can get on with fitting the kitchen.

Does anyone have any example diagrams of how they have wired their kitchens, it'd be useful to compare.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back