Kitchen wondow opening regs help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just bought a house with a kitchen extension on the back measuring 7.5m x 3m and the only windows that open are 2 velux ones with 2 huge paines of glass (3mx2m) and a set of french doors on the back wall. Can anyone shed any light on whether this is allowed by building regs to have no window openings?
Many thanks!!

Sponsored Links
There is no minimum window size for kitchens, whether the kitchen extension was built with Planning Permission and Building Regs Approval though is another matter ..........

Well that is one of the questions we're asking ourselves as there are a few other issues we have found such as; no soakaway for the side gulley extension, the drainpipe just stops and the bottom of the wall; an internal lock fitted on the french doors and only at the bottom. None of this was picked up by the surveyor so we may have something to claim about.

what sort off survey did you have done!!!

i would say on the points you mention you have nill chance they are minor and not structural

Sponsored Links
We had a full structural survey done. You say the points are minor but the drainpipe has led to a damp issue not only on our wall but also the neighbours so there is a cost involved here that we feel should be covered.

Structural surveys will only cover structural information. The surveyor will not look at (or be qualified to comment on) anything other than structural issues. Therefore rainwater disposal, locks or damp issues will not be within his remit to advise on. Sorry but surveys generally have more holes in them than Swiss Cheese and surveyors are more slippery than Teflon.

When was the extension built BTW?

The previous owner received building reg sign-off from the Council last September so it's a very recent extention. We've spoken to our solicitor and they're confident we have a good case against one of the parties involved whether it's the surveyor for not picking things up or the Council for signing off on issues that they shouldnt. We're aware of the slipperyness of both surveyors and Councils so we're not anticipating an easy ride but we confident we'll get the outcome we want.

Also bear in mind that unless the solicitor is your close friend or relative and is not charging you they will happily take your money and are far more slippery than surveyors and councils put together. :idea:

i would get a second or third opinion before employing a solicitor who charge a fortune and then say

"well i thought it would be easier but never mind you cant win them all "just a shame i have had to charge you £2000

Also bear in mind that unless the solicitor is your close friend or relative and is not charging you they will happily take your money and are far more slippery than surveyors and councils put together. :idea:

The solicitor works for my other half's Dad so we're not concerned about being taken for a ride!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back