Create headroom with roof windows?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a loft that would make a useful extension except that the headroom over stairs is marginal to meet the 2m requirement of building regs. A builder said he found this a common problem and had often solved it by fitting 2 top opening velux windows up to the ridge of the roof on both sides. Before I talk to an architect and get involved in Planning and Regs could anyone advise whether this is an acceptable solution to the problem?

Regards
George

Sponsored Links
i doubt it's ok mate, why don't u call your local Building Control dept. + run it past them

In theory this would be acceptable. but if the 100mm or so makes all the difference then just speak to your BCO as they have the discretion to let you away with less than 2.0m got one signed off ,after a lot of twoing and froing, at 1.75m. I would be very careful about mentioning it before hand though I would get your drawings passed by BC and then half way through the build let them know you have a headheight issue and see what you can get away with you could always throw in the velux trick as a comprimise. i have yet to be turned down on a head height below 2m yet but doubt I could push my luck beyond the 1.75 though. this one was caused by the bloody architect as indeed most are. Alternatively could you not introduce a turn into the stairs to stop going further into the pitch of the roof or build a dormer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back