Velux windows on a 12 Degree Pitched Roof

ahh..... well I still have three good as new 15 deg plus velux skylights, 12 deg if installed were it don't rain much.

Sponsored Links
Yes, but the matter remains live for others!

I am currently discussing the matter of a velux installation in a low pitched roof with friends and knowledgeable tradesmen.

The consensus is that a competent roofer will be able to make the velux watertight using lead either instead of or in addition to the velux flashing provided.

Yes, but the matter remains live for others!
No it doesn't. Velux do not guarantee their rooflights down to 12 deg. simples. Either fit it on an upstand to increase its pitch or get a decent leadworker to flash it and take your chances. But if it leaks in through the window rather than the flashing it will be your head.

Really though 12deg, 15 deg there isn't much in it so probably not a big deal unless an exposed site etc. of course BC may disagree ......

I don't think it is the flashing that will be the ultimate problem, more the window being able to open and close, and remain water tight.

Sponsored Links
it really depends on the location, sheltered should be ok, i have 2 mo4 velux with slate on my extension and the most pitch i could get was 10 degrees and thats nearly 10 years old now with no problems. i wouldnt install at that pitch for a customer just in case it came back to bite me in the arse but i thought i would give it a go on my own house before resorting to the velux flat roof upstand. so far so good.

Can anyone help I have a 12 degree roof we have keylite fitted at the moment but can't find a kit suitable for 12 degree they do one but nobody sells it . So looking at changing all 3 windows to velux suitable for a 12 degree. Are these windows OK I can't afford a mess up again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back