Kitchen Wood surface has been damaged by detergent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My girlfriend left a small amount of liquid washing detergent on our kitchen work surface. The kind used for washing clothes rather than dishes. It's damaged the finish and I want to get it repaired before it gets worse.

From what i've read it's wood oil I need but I don't know where to start or what to use.

Thanks for your help

Alan

Sponsored Links
Mask off the spot and rub with 000wire wool and a little water , you need to remove any trace of the detergent, then apply and little danish oil and rub in, when dry inspect for colour match, you may never get back to original condition, ideally rub down entire top and coat with something like 'top oil' to prevent further damage.

ah that's a good point I hadn't considered the left over detergent!

I will give that a crack tonight. The worktop is huge so it's too big a job to get the whole thing sanded down for this one spot :)

thank you for the clear concise answer!

Sponsored Links
If you clean the top with wire wool and clean off dust topcoat is best applied to entire top as will provide better protection than just treating a small area.
Not hard work and worth doing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back