Kitchen wooden worktop

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Anyone else got any helpful advice / experience?? ( I'm not a complete idiot - I do generally read instructions on tins)

I'm not sure from the phptograpnhs, but that does look as though either there's water trapping in the new coating or that there is incomatibility between the coatings. As there are several oils made by Ronson, could you post exactly which oil you used, say how many coats and what steps you took before applying the oil, please? I suspect that you may need to strip back all tHe finishes and start from scratch, but if you can supply enough information it may be possible to figure out a less drastic approach

Hi, I did 3 coats. Each time I washed the worktop down with warm soapy water, put the oil on liberally with a lint cloth then left it 10 minutes and wiped the oil off with a fresh cloth.

How much time between washing down and oiling? Do you know what the previous finish was?

Hi, don't know what the old oil was as have just moved into house. I left it probably a good hour after washing it down before oiling & throghly dried with cloth.

I don't mind the faded look I guess I'm just worried that the oil I applied hasn't worked / been on properley.

I suspect that it wasn't fully dry and that there is water trapped between the old and new finishes (possibly that the original finish was porous and that some water was soaked into the timber grain so you were applying an oil finish onto wet wood). For future reference if I need to use water I don't flood the surface and I leave it several days to dry thoroughly. I prefer to use white spirits if at all possible because it doesn't give you so many problems. This would also account for any patchiness in finish. The only to get rid if the whiteness would be to strip completely back the the bare wood using a cabinet scraper. If you can live with the whiteness then you'll probably OK, although I don't think that the finish will last as long, that's all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back