Kitchen worktop jig / incompatible router

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting my own kitchen worktops.
I am wanting to cut the mitres using a router jig, but it appears that they can only be used with 1/2" routers, of course mine is only 1/4" What problems will I encounter if I try to use my router?
I intend to use a 30mm guide bush so the bit will still run central to the jig.
Any comments will be appreciated.

Cheers.
Bob

Sponsored Links
I could not get a bush for my cheap router, also the longest 1/2 cutter with a 1/4 shank that I could locate was still too short if the worktop was 38mil. thick.

What finally put me off, was the thought of a 1/2 inch cutter spinning at 20000 +rpm through hard chipboard all being held by a small 1/4 inch shank ( but then I'm one of natures born cowards).

I've gone through my story elsewhere on this site.

You will most likley burn out your router. You need alot of power (a 0.5" router) and a worktop router cutter.

Sponsored Links
Power is the main issue. Nothing wrong with the 1/4" collet. You can forget about the 2000 rpm. No way is your router going to have the umph to maintain that speed on this job.

If router bits are under driven they rub instead of cutting. This creates heat and the bit looses it's edge causing it to get even hotter, etc.. End point comes when you have glowing router bit that won't cut butter, and the whole room smells like guy fawkes night.

Sorry, it just won't work. It may be an idea to hire a bigger router for the day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back