Kitchen Worktop joint advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our builder has positioned our L-shaped kitchen sections together such that there is a gap between them. He intended to disguise this with an ugly metal joining bar but this shouldn't be necessary. I imagine the runs need to be pulled together to close the gap but could someone let me know if there are bolts or similar that should be holding the two sections together securely. In which case Colorfill can then be used in the tiny join. I need to know what I'm talking about before challenging the builder.

Many thanks for any help offered.

Sponsored Links
The work top joint is called a masons mitre, and it's cut very accurately using a special jig and a powerful router.
At the same time, notches are cut out of the underside to allow bolts to be inserted to pull the pieces together.
Using a 'salmonella strip' - in your case it seems - is not the way to do it!
John :)

if your builder was clever he couldve done the joint by hand using a good saw and a biscuit jointer.
think this is already above him if he is fitting a metal jointing strip.

Sponsored Links
I've asked the kitchen supplier and they told me to purchase worktop joining bolts which I've done. Just hope the builder can fit them! Then I'll use Colourfill on the seam.

If the worktops are already in place then the chances are that they have been cut to fit the base unit lengths. If this is the case then it's too late to cut a mitre as the overall length will be reduced.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back