Kitchen Worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello folks

I am going to replace some worktops next week, and looking for some tips & suggestions on how to go about choosing the best value for money laminate worktop?.

Whats the diffrence between a £55 laminate worktop in B&Q compared with a more exspensive one in magnets or howdens.

Ideally it would be a worktop that didnt have to be ordered, but if it turns out that the best value for money has to be ordered then willing to wait.

thanks inadvance

Vince

Sponsored Links
Do what I did shop around and take notes of prices type/name and thickness.
We ended up at Webane-Smith and bought a none shiney black granite style. From experience shiny ones tend to show cleaning scratch marks after a while. One top we had actually went crazy in one spot that is it was like crazy paving, a bit like glazed tile crazing.

Whats the diffrence between a £55 laminate worktop in B&Q compared with a more exspensive one in magnets or howdens.
B&Q supply a cheap 30mm worktop with many of their kitchens which will tend to bow across the width. They also, in my experience, take no care with their stuff and frequently deliver dented and damaged stuff diu to rough handling in the warehouse. Even their 40mm tops aren't much kop. The best worktops I've come across are Duropal and Prima (Formica) in 40mm thickness. They tend to be flat and joint well. I've used Howdens and they are good, with the advantage of being a tad wider than standard tops.

The other poster's comments about glossy worktops are too true - only fit those if you have no kids and never cook, or you're about to move house and are outting the place on the market. They are a nightmare for fitters as they always result in callbacks. I've even had tilers scratch them a couple of times before the customer has started to use the kitchen!

Scrit

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back