Knocking down a load bearing wall- approx how much?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone
I am about to knock down a load bearing wall- I've had drawings and calculations done for the building warrant and that including the warrant itself has already cost me £500. The wall is about 2 metres wide and will need a concrete support across the top. I was wondering if anyone could give me a rough estimate of what it's likely to cost (given that I have already got the warrant), I have no idea and don't want to be ripped off!!! Also I'm in the Glasgow area if any local builders would like to give me a quote....
Thanks
Al
:D

Sponsored Links
Hi
It will be about 2.25 metres long. I'm not sure about whether it's prestressed or not- architect still has to post us back the warrant with his drawings.
Thanks
Al :)

Well, if its a prestressed pc lintel you can buy them from builders merchants and they can cost as little as £50 .. IF its not and its an insitu concrete beam!! then the cost could be 10x that. I would guess/hope its a simple prestressed lintel.
Cost will be a little dependant on what you ask the builder to do, what extras. Be warned youll pay for propping of upper floors and employing at least 2-3 builders (just to lift the beam it could weigh about 120kg), as well as the cost of removing the wall and cost of a skip.
Then factor in if you want them to replaster the walls and or paint/wall paper.
Best to get Architects/Engineers drawings and get 3+ quotes from builders.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for the advice. I had a couple of quotes done before I got the drawings done and they all came in around about £2000. Do you reckon that's reasonable?
Thanks
Al

Im no expert on price, but would estimate 1000-1500 for a basic wall opening with little or no decorating. Your builders estimates may change when you get revised drawings.

I'm not sure if that initial quote was pricing in the cost of drawings and calculations- I hope so because i've already paid out £500 for these and £2000 on top of that would make it really pricey!
Thanks
Al

Just to let people know- I managed to get a quote of £620 :D for this job including disposal of wall and plastering. Not bad considering the first quote of £2000 I had!!
Al

that sounds more like it its only a days work for two men.

Disposal of wall........Aye, by someone who had practised on the Berlin one ;) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Hey don't get me nervous :confused: ! I'm at work and the builders are getting to work on the wall as I type! There are only 2 of them and they said they'll be finished by Wed (it's Mon now). I'll let you know how it turns out!
Al

Hey there
The wall is down and the lintel is up and plastered. Looks pretty good to me :D and they took away all the rubble.
Al

Hey £620 is very good deal, can u let me know the builder as i'm also about to take down a wall of similar size.

Thanks

Hey £620 is very good deal, can u let me know the builder as i'm also about to take down a wall of similar size.

Thanks

doubt it. blainey made that post in 2006, and last posted In February 2007

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back