knocking down a wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
how do i know if a wall i want to knock down and move is a supporting wall?

I have rang numerous builders-all who seem to be too busy or only do big jobs. the builders that i can come out to give me a quote or to check don't seem to know.

I want to move a wall in my kitchen about 3 feet

I have checked the floorboards upstairs and the joists run from front to back however, i can see the wall, made of breeze block in the joists.
does this mean it is a supporting wall?

any help would be appreciated as this is driving me mad.

Sponsored Links
I'm not a builder, but are the joists running perpendicular to the wall and can you see if the wall is resting in the joists? If so, it's a good sign that it's supporting. If the wall is parallel to the joists, it probably isn't.

Try employing a surveyor rather than a builder to be sure.

I employed a structural engineer to check whether a wall was supporting (as well as to provide some calculations for a metal beam for another wall). I got two quotes first of all. One for about £300, the other for £1500. Guess which one I went with ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back