knocking down walls...is it load bearing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i was hoping to knock down the wall between the kitchen and dinning room in my 1970's house to create a bigger kitchen, the wall in question is blocks, but none of the upstairs joists seem to rest on it, they run inline with the wall, infact the only thing that seems to is a stud wall directly above, which i would assume is only to divide upstairs space and wouldnt be supporting the roof.

is there any tips anyone could share to help us out

cheers

Sponsored Links
It doesn't sound like it's load bearing if there is nothing physically touching the top of it.

Maybe a picture would help us though.

People will probably tell you to check with a structural engineer to be 100% but common sense may be enough on this one.

may be answering my own question here but lifted a few floorboards in the bedroom after work and can see the top of the downstairs wall...had head down there and cant see anything actually touching the top of the wall so surely this isnt supporting anything?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like case closed to me

You may well be right but be careful here.
Although the wall may not be supporting any load directly above, it may still be structural. It could be providing lateral support to an adjoining wall; this might be more critical if the adjoining wall is external. Depending on the construction and configuration of other ground floor walls in the house, it may not necessarily be wise to move it without a check by a SE.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back