Knocking Through Wall - Process and Approval

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've set on a builder to knock through a wall to make two small rooms into one larger one. The wall is load-bearing and he has ordered the steel required after having a structural engineer provide the necessary calculations.

Apart from this, I assume someone from the council should visit to approve the works, and do I need any documentation if I was to later sell the house?

Sponsored Links
You'll need a certificate from the council to prove the works are to Building Regs. Make sure you're builder appreciates that you require the works to comply and he is to involve them and call them to arrange for them to visit. You will have a to pay the Local Authority a fee.

Note that legally speaking it is ultimately the homeowners responsibility to ensure that the works are to Building Regulations standard.

Practically speaking, what is the incentive to involve Buildings Control (not withstanding the legal requirement)?

Sponsored Links
If and when you come to sell, the buyers solicitor may request the Building Regs Certificate to prove that the works complied. Getting it legal now can solve a whole load of grief later on including having to expose the ends to prove what and how it was installed.

Yes, I know how it arises but I imagine 9 out of 10 knock-throughs (for example) never get near Buildings Control - who's to say when it was done?

If every notifiable job was notified, they'd need an army of inspectors.

If every notifiable job was notified, they'd need an army of inspectors.

Or if a so-called "friendly" neighbour just happens to contact the LA to let them know of any building works progressing, which may be un-authorised, which may then lead to a regularisation application. Again, more time and money in the long run.

Why are you now deciding to not involve BC if you have the necessary documentation to prove your strutural alterations are sound?

Yes, I know how it arises but I imagine 9 out of 10 knock-throughs (for example) never get near Buildings Control - who's to say when it was done?
It doesn't matter when it was done, whether last week or 10 years ago, the forum is littered with such threads. Any surveyor with half a brain will pick it up, frankly its no skin off our noses whether you get approval or not, you were the one with the queries!

I've booked an appointment for a visit from the inspector, but it's obvious lots don't and seem to get away with it.

Observation rather than evidence of intent.

Edit - and at £100-200 for the calcs and £200 for a council jobsworth to glance at it, even less surprising lots won't bother.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back