KVM Switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I want to set up a PC with a monitor but have the option of using the monitor as a second display for a lappy.

We're not bothered about sharing the mouse/keyboard.

Which KVM switch would you recommend specifically for this?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Anything with a button on it. Be prepared to open it up and remove an annoying piezo. Preferably brutally.

Alternatively, use a monitor with multiple inputs (DVI + VGA is common).

Thanks, Monkeh.

What do I have to remove and why?

I am using an LG W2243S. Having had a good look, there seems to be only one VGA input, unless I've missed something.

If your LG is a 22" screen, then just ensure you DO get the right kvm as some will only do up to a certain resolution, commonly 1280x1024.
I have about 3 at work that only reach this resolution, basically because they are only required to.
Sounds like you have 2 devices that would naturally use 2 very different resolutions, ie. desktop 1920x1080 and laptop 1200x800(?).

This caused me a few issues in the past as the laptop res looked awful on a larger monitor that had a higher native resolution.

As monkeh said, shame you don't have a dual port monitor, sometimes its much easier.

Sponsored Links
That's the trouble. You buy something not realising in the future your other half will want to buy a laptop and want to use a second monitor.

Personally, I think it's a bit greedy.... ;)

Thanks jacko too. I'll see what I can find.

Back