labour charge - electrician

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
what is a typical range of labour charge per hour/per day in Notts area?

what would be approx cost to rewire 3-bed semi?

Sponsored Links
You'll need to get some quotes

what would be approx cost to rewire 3-bed semi?
You'll need to get some quotes, but budget about the same as what you would pay for a second hand car.

Does that help?

OK, but
First of all, make a full, comprehensive list of what you want in your "rewire",
Then find yourself some registered electricians (preferably from personal recommendation) and get pricing from them.

EDIT: also read this very recent thread //www.diynot.com/forums/electrics/cambs-electricians.395393/
there's a list of things to think about in there.

You'll need to get some quotes
One obviously needs to get quotes for a particular job, particularly for something as uncertain in definition/scope (and difficulty) as a 'rewire'. However, surely there must be an answer to this first question the OP asked (as quoted above) about the range of typical hourly/daily labour charges in a particular area? I don't know the answer, but I would have thought that plenty of people would.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
No, that's plumber's rate per day.
:)

As I wrote earlier, there surely must be established 'typical figures' for electricians' hourly/daily rates in a particular part of the country? In every field I work in, typical/acceptable hourly/daily rates are pretty well established, all the arguments being about the number of hours/days involved in a particular piece of work!

Kind Regards, John

Well, I would say £25 per hour which is the £200 per day.

However, a half hour (actual) job isn't going to be £12.50.

I find most customers want a quote for the job so the actual hourly rate is never mentioned.
I prefer this then I can go slow if I want.

If you said to a customer - the OP? - I will change your CU for £25 per hour I don't think they would accept it.

Well, I would say £25 per hour which is the £200 per day.
Fair enough.
However, a half hour (actual) job isn't going to be £12.50.
Sure - and that's an issue which (at least for me!) often produces friction with customers/clients.
I find most customers want a quote for the job so the actual hourly rate is never mentioned. I prefer this then I can go slow if I want.
That's also fair enough, provided you feel able to make a reasonable up-front estimate of how much time is going to be involved (or are confident that you have an 'understanding' customer who will be receptive to increases if the work proves to be far more time-consuming than was anticipated).
If you said to a customer - the OP? - I will change your CU for £25 per hour I don't think they would accept it.
No, not without at least some indication of the estimated number of hours involved - that's far too open-ended and, as you imply, one doesn't want to end up paying more simply because the worker is slow! It would probably be a bit different if one knew (from one's own or others' experiences) that the individual concerned was always very speedy.

Kind Regards, John

Yes.

Except for 'open-ended' work such as fault-finding I think it is generally more a case of piece-work.

Yes. Except for 'open-ended' work such as fault-finding I think it is generally more a case of piece-work.
That's obviously what customers/clients usually prefer, but in many walks of life tasks are actually much more 'open-ended' (unpredictable in workload terms) than clients would like to believe, which makes fixed 'piece-work' quotes very difficult. In fact, I suspect it's often the clients who lose out - since, if they insist on 'fixed prices', one has little (sensible) choice but to 'quote high' if one really doesn't know how long the piece of string is going to be! .. and then, of course, those high quotes often eventually come to be accepted as 'the going rate' for the job!

Kind Regards, John

Surely flexibility in pricing is key though.

Take my CU change thread. The way I see it, I would want it to be priced as:

Actual change of CU: £100 (man hours only based on disconnect old and reconnect new)
Materials (CU, RCBOs etc.): £200 (based on TLC prices with 7 RCBOs)

With a note saying not including rectifying any faults if any are found.

The reason for my thread is I've had a price of £500 + VAT from the guy my company use, which seems high to me. No mention of brands etc.

If he showed up and went away 30 minutes later after completion I'd be a bit ****ed (~£400) for 30 minutes work!!). If he was here all day fixing faults it's obviously different. And at the same time I wouldn't wan't to only pay him that if he was still here 3 days later!

And nobody can foresee any problems before starting!

Take my CU change thread. The way I see it, I would want it to be priced as:
Actual change of CU: £100 (man hours only based on disconnect old and reconnect new)
Materials (CU, RCBOs etc.): £200 (based on TLC prices with 7 RCBOs)The reason for my thread is I've had a price of £500 + VAT from the guy my company use, which seems high to me. No mention of brands etc.
One thing you may be overlooking is that no competent electrician should really be prepared to change a CU without first at least testing all the circuits - I would have thought that would bring the total labour up to appreciably more than 4 man-hours.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back