Cost to test Circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Labour charges vary. But what should be a typical cost for testing a new circuit running from the CU and supplying a single fixed appliance ?.

Thanks for any suggestion. Property has a 5 year certificate.

Sponsored Links
But what should be a typical cost for testing a new circuit running from the CU and supplying a single fixed appliance ?.
Has this new circuit already been installed? If so, it should be (should have been) tested by the person who installed it an notified the work to the Local Authority (as part of the cost of the job).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
As said zero as the testing and inspecting is all part of the job, it is not a separate cost added should the customer require it.

However with LABC I realise they often insist some one other than the person doing the work tests it. This happened we me, in the end I did test it, but that was not what the inspector wanted. In the main it would be the minimum charge. For any job you must travel to and from the job, and in the main electricians work on a swings and roundabouts system charging what on average it takes to visit. In rural areas electricians can work quite a distance from base so around where I live normally 2 hours charged, but this will vary.

Since likely two visits required that means 4 hours, this is why so often we say simply not worth doing DIY on a job needing registering. Half a day is also the time taken to do the job, so it costs £100 more plus vat to DIY than to get an electrician to do whole job. OK if full house rewire then DIY but single circuit if following the law then a non starter.

OK it likely takes just 15 minutes to do the work, however it's the travel time that bumps up the price.

And after paying all that money your still left without an installation certificate. Only the person doing the work can issue an installation certificate, so some one who just tests issues an EICR (Electrical installation condition report) and the completion certificate is issued on the strength of that report.

It was an EICR. Lasts 5 years.

Actually it was done by a highly qualified electrical engineer, a former aircraft missile designer. Cannot find him now.

I have qualifications, but not qualified to test, so not just DIY.

Did not think about costs, as ericmark has pointed out. So I will just have to ask the tester who I select.

Thanks to everyone.

It was an EICR. Lasts 5 years.
No, it's like an MoT. It is just a report on the condition on the day of the test.
It may be recommended that another is carried out in five years, or ten, depending on the state of the installation or views of the tester.

I have qualifications, but not qualified to test, so not just DIY.
No qualifications are required to do EICRs, just knowledge and experience which often exceeds that of the tester.

Actually it was done by a highly qualified electrical engineer, a former aircraft missile designer. Cannot find him now. I have qualifications, but not qualified to test, so not just DIY. Did not think about costs, as ericmark has pointed out. So I will just have to ask the tester who I select.
What is your reason for wanting the testing - just for your own peace of mind, or do you have a more formal requirement?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back