Labour requirements for poured concrete foundations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm considering poured concrete strip foundations for an extension, but would like to know roughly how many people I'll need to help me spread it round the trenches (assuming that the delivery driver won't wait around all day). It's for an extension 4mx6m, 450mm width and 1m depth trench, about 6 cubic metres altogether.

The delivery lorry will be about 6metres from the furthest trench, but I've no idea if the 'spout' (or whatever delivers the concrete) can normally get that distance. Is there much variation between suppliers or are they more-or-less using the same trucks/equipment?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
A couple of you can do it. Get him to wet the mix up when he gets to site, make yourself a long handle with a bit of wood the width of the trench to help drag it and have a rake or two on hand as well. Set some level pegs to give you the top level that you want beforehand.

if he can only get within 6m then you may be better off making a chute.

we have done this before using 4 scaffold boards and lining it with polythene.

the high end will need to sit on a trestle and be kept secure.

ask the driver to put freeflow or truflow into the mix as this will allow the concrete to flow round the trench of its own volition. it will still need raking and shovelling though.

peg out the trench too as this will make gauging the amounts easier.

if he can only get within 6m then you may be better off making a chute.

A chute? Great, but what kind of slope do I need to give it (assuming I ask for freeflow)?
I've never done anything with concrete beyond laying hard-standing, certainly not this quantity, and don't want to screw it up.

I've checked the prices and been quoted 560 quid for 6 cubic metres of C15. 30 quid extra for the polypropylene fibres, so I'll probably get that. I'm wondering if I should go for steel fibres if it's not going to cost much more. Better safe than sorry I suppose. Is there any reason why I might not want this? Harder to work it?

thanks for the reply.

Sponsored Links
slope - 1m to nowt over 4m.

why do you want fibres?

I figured the fibres would give an extra margin of safety, and avoid the need to use any steel mesh (not that it's been specified in my plans). For 30 quid I thought 'why not'. Do you think they'll make no difference?

i'm not even sure fibres will strengthen it in any way.

screed - yes.

concrete - :?:

by the way, what will the overall wall thickness be, i.e. both leaves plus cavity?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back