Ladders.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, Happy New Year!.

I've got a normal 2 story, 3 bedroom terrace house.

Looking for a decent set of aluminium ladders to clean the gutters out mainly, I won't be going on the roof!.

Whats a good make/ supplier. It seems I need a 5.8m Safe Working Height?.

More than likely these will be stored outside under a tarpaulin, would certain makes stand up better than others?.

Cheers, Keith.

Sponsored Links
Over the last 30 years we have always used Youngman trade ladders at work.
Make sure the ladders are of good quality and fit for purpose.
Working at height can be dangerous ,make sure you purchase the correct product.Look at reviews of products before you buy.

And check the recommended weight! I nearly bought a set of ladders but they were rated at less than I would have weighed if I was carrying some tools and equipment up them. Think about getting a stand off too.

Youngman trade ladders

I'm not a fan of those TBH. I don't like the square rungs, D shaped rungs are much more comfortable and give a 'safer' feeling in my mind..

I'd buy a TB Davies triple ladder personally.

Sponsored Links
I'm 80'ish kilos and a bucket and trowel..

Standoff sounds a good idea.

Basically I want best solution to clean the gutters. Normall the ladders were lent up against them but don't fancy that myself!.

Price isn't really a consideration, same as laying under the car I'd rather no die than save a few quid!.

You want a triple ladder and a ladder stay to hold it off the wall.
Still on my long list to use my wet and dry vac and 40mm pipe to make a gutter vac..

Is this best bet?, is the standoff just a universal fit job?.

Cheers all.

Screenshot_20210103-130413_eBay.jpg

What’s the safe working weight - can it safely carry your weight plus whatever you may be carrying with enough of a safety margin? Yes, the standoffs are universal.

It's 150kg , I'm 80kg so all good there.

It's the ELT330, can't find Safe Working Height anywhere (is it normally 3/4 Height of the ladder?).

Would the ELT 335 be better?.

Screenshot_20210103-135319_Drive.jpg

Another one for saying to get a stand off.
The stand off is to prevent the ladder (and your weight) compressing the guttering, potentially damaging it and affecting any seals. (wish I had one).
Also ensure that (depending upon what you have to rest the bottom one) you have bottom stabilisation/grips. If all you have is grass then you may need to look into a stout board and rails with pegs. (I'm sure someone can advise on what's best at the bottom).
Add strong tie off points (o-ring bolts) up top in locations that you can use every year.
Do not forget some dang strong chains & locks to secure it if left outside, secure it to something solid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back