Laguna - Noisy drive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I've got an old (M reg) but very reliable Laguna. However, I do regular trips to Suffolk from Manchester and during my last 2 trips I have noticed the following:

I feel almost every bump in the road, however small.
The road noise seems louder.

The tyres are new and are always checked to ensure that they are at the correct pressure.

Is this likely to be shocks / Springs / Suspension? Is there a test I can do to determine the cause?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
it may very well be the shocks, what sort of mileage does it have on it, the only test you can do on the shocks really is check for oil leakage around the pistons of the shock, and the bounce test, bounce the car on the corners to test each shock, when you stop bouncing the car, it should go down come back up and then rest, if it keeps going up and down shocks are gone, springs don`t generally wear they just break, and have you got remolds or cheap tyres on the car, this too could cause louder road noise, a mid range tyre should help with this.

Another quick test, at speed, put your foot on the clutch, does ot make an almost immediate difference to the sound ? This will help differentiate between wheel bearings / engine problems. But yeah, its probably the shocks / bushes / springs.

Sponsored Links
I doubt the shocks gone that would give it a harsher ride - unless the top mount was gone. Much more likely the lower wishbone bushes worn out, or perhaps another joint worn. Check under the car where the wishbone mounts to the chassis and usually a visual check will determine if they are completely worn.

Back