knocking on front drivers side

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have this knocking on my Ford Focus, definitely coming from the front drivers side, almost seems to be coming from behind the dash sometimes, taken it to the garage they checked it out on the ramps couldn't find anything, went for a test drive couldn't hear anything.

The only time I don't hear it is when travelling at speed (wondered if the engine noise just drowned out the knocking) and oddly enough when I have a passenger in the front! As I was in front on the test drive.

It doesn't seem to matter if the road is slightly uneven or a speed bump the noise is the same, I have been driving this poor car over some pretty nasty bumps in my village for 7 years now so I assumed it must be something to do with the suspension but the garage said not.

It's driving me crazy has anyone had the same experience

Sponsored Links
The first guess, if the noise is suspension related, has to be the drop links or stabilisers which connect the anti roll bar to the suspension strut.
Very prone to wear, and cheap to replace - these are a pain on many vehicles.
Noises from the dash area can indicate bonnet hinge wear though, but this is less likely.
John :)

Thanks.

The mechanic said he had checked all those and the suspension was fine. Think I need to get a second opinion, Probably take it to the Ford dealer.

Don't be to hard on the garage if you can get the noise into the car then they can cure it for you.

Just check that their isn't something internally, for example in the storage trays causing the noise.

It took me 2 days to find a pen in the door causing an intermittent noise.

And that was for my sister :oops:

Sponsored Links
Don't be to hard on the garage if you can get the noise into the car then they can cure it for you.

Just check that their isn't something internally, for example in the storage trays causing the noise.

It took me 2 days to find a pen in the door causing an intermittent noise.

And that was for my sister :oops:
And you have both remaind pen friends since :p :p

Yes, I know what you mean about the noise being in the car, last week driving home I could hear a chink for 2 days and discovered it was a metal toggle on my jacket tapping the seat belt catch.

Checked the pockets in my car dozens of times, spare wheel and jack, bonnet catches, dash etc. I thought I had found it when I discovered the cover off my headlight rolling around on the wheel arch and a hose bracket broken not either of those. People in supermarket car parks look at me very oddly when I am scrambling around in the car, and the only thing I have found rolling around so far is a malteser.

Back