Laminate finish at step edge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hoping someone can point me in the right direction with nosing for my laminate floor.

I've got laminate floor (15mm thick) in the hallway of my house which runs up to the edge of a step down into another room. This edge was left unfinished, and I'd like some kind of nosing to make it a bit more neat, to offer some protection to the edge of the laminate board, and to prevent the whole thing moving too far over the step edge.

Has anybody got a neat idea for how I can retrofit a nice-looking nosing? The neater ones I've seen appear to be pre-fit only, as you nail them to the subfloor then slide the boards in.

I can't find any wood-effect which match so was going to go for an angled piece of aluminium, however I'm reluctant to screw through it, the laminate and the subfloor as surely I would be restricting the movement/expansion of the laminate?

I did have an idea to nail a piece of 15mm timber to the subfloor at the very edge of the step and then glue metal nosing to this rather than the laminate itself. Anybody done similar?

Sponsored Links
Most laminates will be available with stair nosings to match, these usually glue to the floor and have a lip that overlaps the laminate. Engineered Oak 15mm Stair nosings would also fit.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately my laminate doesn't have matching nosing. Even though it is oak I've found walnut is a closer match when using real wood. The ramp could work cheers for the idea.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back