Help needed in finishing split level laminate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have been laying Sensa laminate flooring in our recently purchased Victorian terraced house on the ground floor. The ground floor is split into two levels which are separated by a door frame. Basically the hallway and living/dining room are all one level. At the end of the hallway is a doorframe that leads to the kitchen which is about 6 inches lower that the hallway.

Currently there is a piece of old floorboard which slightly juts out which is the current nose of the step. I need to replace this board (as it is broken) and then lay the laminate on top in the hallway up to the edge of this board (allowing the usual expansion gap).

I had hoped to find a stair nosing piece that I could use to cleanly finish the step but Sensa don't make anything useful. I've seen a bunch of different nose profiles but I'm not really sure of what sort is best to use, particularly to provide a reasonable match to the California Rosewood flooring I'm using. Pergo do a good nose section but obviously matching colours would be difficult.

Here is a photo of the door/step as it was before we purchased the house. Both levels are going to be laminate.

DSC_2018.jpg

Has anyone got any advice that would help me with solving this?

Sponsored Links
If you can't find a colour matching one with your floor go the opposite way and get a bronze or silver/grey nosing. Makes it stand out better too and could also avoid people not noticing the step down.

Any recommendations?

All the ones I've seen seem to glue or screw to the flooring rather than the subfloor. Since I want to be able to leave expansion room I'd like to use something that attaches to the subfloor. The Pergo aluminium one looks good but I'm not sure it will work with the thickness of flooring I'm using. I've used 5.5mm fibre board underlay as the subfloor is quite uneven. This means that the combined thickness of floor is 13.5 mm.

The Pergo one seems to only have 11.2 mm space.

Any alternative nosings?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back