Laminate floor installation help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anone have any advice on coping with architraves?

We have recently starting laying a laminate floor and are stuck halfway. We are at the architrave for the door and the instructions indicate that you should saw a horizontal strip off the bottom of the architrave then slot the flooring underneath. However, as the floor is click-lock (Wickes) you have to slot it into the adjoining groove at an angle, and once it is flat it is locked in and wont move. So how do I get it under the architrave??

Cheers
Kat x

Sponsored Links
You have to cut the locking bit of the tongue off. You should be left with a flat tongue you can slide the next board into. Next you need to pva the two together and tape in place while glue goes off. Understand???

Yep- sounds great!

Will give it a try. Thanks for your quick response :D

My husband tried this today and failed miserably- he said the next board would not sit flat but raised up to form a tiny lip.

I think we are destined to fail at this- and with his brawn and my brains we are normally quite good at little projects like this (eg we designed, assembled and installed our Ikea kitchen and it looks the bees knees!)

Ho hum back to the drawing board......

Sponsored Links
KatHeard said:
Ho hum back to the drawing board......
That's what we wish click-system manufactures are doing ;) Give us the 'old-fashion' Tongue and Groove construction any time

Yep bring back the standard glue together. Still have you fitted the new grundorf woods yet woody? Got a spot on Solid wood lock system and an even better engineered locking system. brilliant if you like floating methods.

Right we have finally done it- it looks great now it is in thank goodness. We sawed 3 inches or so off the bottom of the architrave in order to get enough angle on it, then nailed the shortened piece back on. Ok so there is a join but once it gets it's second coat of paint it will be barely noticeable.

I think I will look for the glueable stuff next time (if there is a next time....shudder)

mattysupra said:
Yep bring back the standard glue together. Still have you fitted the new grundorf woods yet woody? Got a spot on Solid wood lock system and an even better engineered locking system. brilliant if you like floating methods.
No, we 'don't do' Grundorf. (used to have a very nice product from one of their other companies WoodPecker, that's gone now - was an oiled standard full-plank engineered board with T&G). We have 5 special ranges (catering for every budget) from 4 main (mostly Dutch) suppliers and all have normal T&G. As a small retailer we try not to have too many brands (who mostly look a like etc). We're happy with what we've got and all is of best quality (and service from our manufacturers).
But you have to use what you like isn't it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back