Laminate floor makes annoying clicking noises when walking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I put down "Krono Original" laminate in our bedroom a couple of months ago but we find it makes a lot of annoying little clicking/ticking noises when walked on, presumably coming from the joints. I used 3mm foam underlay so I'm guessing the noises are due to the laminate flexing slightly on this, or even due to flexing of the subfloor with it being upstairs (some of the bedroom floors have always made horrendous cracking sounds when walked on).

We have a downstairs room fitted with Quickstep Eligna and we don't get any noises at all from this. It was installed on that rubbery foil-backed underlay which I'm assuming has less give than the foam, plus it's on a concrete floor. I only went with foam underlay upstairs as I'd read that foil-backed can interfere with wifi.

I'm going to be laying laminate in some more downstairs rooms soon and was planning to use Krono again as it's half the price of Quickstep, although I'll be using the foil-backed underlay this time. However I'm a bit concerned that the clicking noises upstairs might be down to the brand of flooring rather than flexing as I'd assumed. Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Ahem, "it's half the price" well I never. With respect that is possibly your answer, could it be that every time it "clicks" something is slowly wearing away due to movement. I have laminate in four rooms in my house and none of it "clicks".

Quickstep has a better locking system So if movement from a unlevel floor it can handle it. Krono is a cheap laminate and a weak locking system

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back