Laminate flooring/Concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Just wondering if I could get some advice please. I am planning on laying laminate flooring on a concrete floor. The current floor doesn't seem too bad as far as moisture is concerned. However, as a precaution, I would like to go with some form of underlay with a moisture barrier and also something with good insulating properties as the floor is very cold!

Any suggestions on what I can use please? Is it possible to use a foam based board/fibre board with a layer of underlay on top? Or should I avoid this due to the risk of too many layers/movement between one surface and another. Or are such boards even suitable IF there is a risk of moisture?

If going for a foil backed underlay (built in dpm), which would you recommend? Most local retailers have offered what seems like a generic silver foiled, foam underlay and the quality doesn't seem to be that great.

I would be very grateful of any advice :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks, really appreciate it. I will look into foam options.
One further question - Do I have to tape the joints on the underlay - If so, which tape would you recommend please?

Take a look at LVT which is waterproof and looks similar to wood effect laminate.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back