Laminate floor to bathroom question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just want to know if it's ok to use clear silicone sealant for the joints as opposed to a laminate floor sealant which is coloured.

My worry is that the colour will be wrong as there are so many different shades. The laminate is ''cappuccino oak'' effect but I don't want to take any chances and would rather just use clear silicone.

Any problems with this ?

Sponsored Links
Just to be clear I intend on using sanitary silicone sealant (says it's waterproof)

You can but I wouldn't as it won't look great seeing through the silicone.
Can't you use beading / scotia

Hi Daz,

I am going to use scotia around the perimeter where the floor meets the boxing in but it says on the instructions on this floor to use a sealant ..

''make sure you apply a laminate flooring joint sealant down the long and short profile before clicking together'' ...

what a horrific idea whoever thought that up, 2-3 boards down and my hands are covered in silicone .. luckily I had wipes on hand.

I'm hoping there's a sealant that can be applied to the whole floor retrofit as no way this is going to seal a thing by the time it's got hairs and sh1t all over it

Sponsored Links
Sorry mate I mis read the question.

Yeah clear should be fine. Don't go mad with it. Small bead.

Right o floor is down, next issue is the toilet pan.

Instructions are unclear here is what is said in the instructions :

''under no circumstances should the toilet, bath or sink pedestal ever be screwed directly to the floor, instead a 12mm expansion gap should be left around the base. After installation any expansion gap should be filled with a flexible silicone which can then be covered with skirting, beading or across thresholds with a door-bar'' ...

So this means I need to cut out a template in the floor and fit the pan into it ???

Surely if I cut out a hole for the toilet then if I ever come to replace it I'll HAVE to get a like for like match ???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back