Laminate floor/underlay acclimatisation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently bought some Laminate HDF flooring (1285 x 192 x 7mm) and underlay boards (590 x 850 x 7.5mm).

I have noticed that it says in various places that I need to leave the underlay in the room (unopened) for 24 hours to acclimatise and the laminate flooring 48 hours to acclimatise.

I was just wondering why you need to do this, and surely it would acclimatise better if it was open and not still in its packaging! Also, is it necessary to do this before I fit the flooring together?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Instructions aren't put there just for fun!

It's best to leave the floor in its packaging, it will acclimatise to your normal house climate and it will prevent damages before you start.

And yes, you have to let the boards (even laminated) acclimatise before you fit the floor - that's the whole reason for it!

If you install the boards straight away they will adapt to your house climate then and there and could expand, shrink depending on the difference in humidity from where they came from to where they are installed.

Not really rocket science, but just the 'laws of physics' (and even Scotty couldn't change them)

Thanks for that, I wasn't sure how much they would expand in 24/48 hours and whether it would make any difference.

Got 2 days off decorating now, so thanks :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back