Laminate flooring and Skirting Boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am busy renovating my house, having worked my way down from upstairs I will shortly be preping the living room and kitchen (as soon as my finances get a little better!). I want laminate starting in the porch, through the living room and into the kitchen, but I dare not take the skirting off as the house will probably fall down, slight exaggeration I know but everything else I have done in the house has uncovered problems so dont want to go there. How can I get a good finish at the skirting boards? My skirting is white and I want a medium/darkish laminate. I know you can buy edging (shaped like quadrant) but not that keen on that, is there anything else out there that I dont know about. Any replies greatly appreciated.

Vicky

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo VickyWhit and welcome :D:D:D:D

i try to convince people to use wood quad then paint it skirting colour in this circumstance
because you can easily get it in long enough lengths to do each wall complete at about 70% saving over the matching stuff but from a wood yard

if your painting is suspect you can fully paint the quad before laying it thus just requiring touching up to any nail holes or exposed wood edges

or you could get prefinnished quad in white and use that [but youll have restricted lengths and no real cost savings]

big-all said:
i try to convince people to use wood quad then paint it skirting colour in this circumstance
because you can easily get it in long enough lengths to do each wall complete at about 70% saving over the matching stuff but from a wood yard
And we always try to convince people to use flat beading, comes in long lengths also, can be stained in any colour you want and makes a very neat finish. (Stops confusing people of not knowing where a quad or scotia belongs to: wall or floor) ;)

Well thank you both very much, what a quick response! This is my first time on this forum, judging by the help I have received, dont think it will be my last. I have really enjoyed renovating my house, must admit I have come up against a lot of prejuide from workman thinking single woman she cannot do this on her own, have enjoyed showing them I can! Thanks very much

Sponsored Links
WoodYouLike said:
And we always try to convince people to use flat beading, comes in long lengths also, can be stained in any colour you want and makes a very neat finish. (Stops confusing people of not knowing where a quad or scotia belongs to: wall or floor) ;)

woud agree if the floor is profesionaly aired and fitted it would stick to your 3mm+/- tollerences ;)
so the flat beading can be stuck to the floor

but the average diyer is going to make mistakes not acclimatizing leaving the odd pinch point here and there leaving the need for a greater expansion gap thus requiring fitting to the skirting board or wall

big-all said:
but the average diyer is going to make mistakes not acclimatizing leaving the odd pinch point here and there leaving the need for a greater expansion gap thus requiring fitting to the skirting board or wall
:LOL:
Our 'Diy-ers' don't leave our showroom before receiving proper fitting instructions and tips of the trades. Once they have seen the flat beading no one ever seems to want quad or scotia any more (hurray)

Working hard on our E-booklet on installation instructions for DIY-ers all over UK (but at the moment locked in writers block :evil: )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back