Laminate Flooring - Expansion holes for kitchen base units?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have now laid my nice new laminate floor in the kitchen ( Floormaster AquaLoc)

The B&Q HOW TO guide tells me I need to not only have 10 mil expansion gaps around the room (which I have done) but also to cut circular holes out of the laminate where the Base Unit feet sit.

Is this really necessary? Surely this will create a means for moisture to get under the floor?

Also, should I not be laying laminate directly under the washing machine?

Sponsored Links
wouldnt worry to much if theres enough moisture to find its way under the floor via some holes theres a fair chance the flooring is already dammaged
just stop the flooring 10mm under the plinthsand make shure theres 1mm clearence so the plinth sits on the floor rather than wedged under

you floor must be kept fully dry any spills wiped up immediatly
floor cleened with a barely moist cloth
so not shure how a hole will make any difference ;)

Have you put the base units in yet??

If not. do as big-all says, remove some boards and cut so that they just go under the plinth. Otherwise, should you ever need/want to change the floor, it will be a right pain with the base units on top!

I'd run the flooring under the washing machine personally.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back