Laminate flooring in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just getting to the stage where I want to lay the flooring in my new bathroom. My wife wants a wood effect (light oak). We were originally looking at Amtico or similar but at around £1000 I was looking at cheaper options - water resistant laminate.

I have a few questions.

1) I have been looking at the Aqua Loc flooring at B&Q. Any comments?

2) Part of my bathroom has a curved shower tray (walk in - no door type). What is the best way to cut profiles round this and is a jigsaw the best tool for cutting? I really want to floor right up to this tray (i.e no expansion joint). I have no problem with expansion joints on the other extremeties as I haven't fixed the skirting yet.

3) I would prefer to put the WC pan and basin pedestal on top as this avoids the need to cut round these. Is this OK or is there too much give.

BTW the floor is a new water resistant chipboard throughout.

Sponsored Links
dont know about most of it, but the bit about the toilet, it will be a lot of trouble. with underlay and floor may raise your toilet up by 1/2 inch that means cistern going up 1/2 inch, and how will you be able to connect it to the soil pipe if its 1/2 inch out

just thoughti would mention it

Good point from breezer, the problem would also be a tent effect ( laminated flooring lifting due to the weight of the toilet if it's resting on it unless you cut round it)

To be honest you be be better of using floor tiles, you can get rectangle floor tiles wood grain effect which looks better in my view.

Thanks for the replies. I found the 'tent effect' stuff in an earlier post and this concerns me. Raising the toilet is not a problem and would actually be beneficial as I am struggling for enough fall anyway. Whatever I do I think I will cut around the WC as I don't want it to move.

Sponsored Links
Something else though regarding floor tiles. I have found in the past problems getting stuff to stick to chipboard. It has a sort of shiny finish which doesn't like any adhesives. I saw a previous post where someone had problems with tiles in a kitchen. I have also had problems with vinyl 'planking' but some of this was due to non water resistant chipboard slightly swollen at the edges due to water ingress. Not a problem in this case though. Is there any way I can get a good key or a recomendation for a good adhesive - Evo stik?

BTW my cistern is fixed but the pipe from the pan to the cistern (not close coupled (hidden) slides inside the syphon and is a compression joint so there is adjustment there and the soil pipe has enough play in it to move up an inch.

I know people do use floor tiles over chipboard which is not really suitable, exterior plywood is best for this. You can glue and screw a thin plywood over the chipboard bearing in mind the floor level will be slightly higher.

Most people use Unibond to seal the chipboard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back