Laminate Flooring - misaligned

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have relaid my new flooring 5 times because I was finding the boards were suddenly going out of line. I thought it was something I was doing wrong until I put four boards together on their own and discovered immediately that one doesn't align true. This caused me to suspect that some of the boards may not been cut exactly square. Has anyone experienced such problems laying laminate flooring? Thanks
G

Sponsored Links
With laminated flooring do you mean Melamine (Plastic stuff with paperprint of wood) or Wood-Engineered (solid top layer of 0.3 till 8mm on pine/plywood backing) (see here.)

Other questions: is it a brand product, if so which, where did you buy it (was it stored properly at the company) and where did you store it yourself and for how long?

Hi,
Thanks for reply Woodyoulike.
It's Melamine flooring. I don't want to say who made it and where I bought it as it may not be permitted on the forum. It was a brand name and I bought it at a large DIY store. I'm not sure the way it has been stored will have much baring on my problem. You see, if I clip 4 pieces together in a rectangular style, one of them tapers off quite badly and leaves a gap on the long side, or the short side, depending on which butt I favour. This suggests to me that the pieces are not precisely squared. I think this is why I've had 6 failed attempts to lay it. I have experience of much DIY and of flooring and this has driven me round the bend. I was interested to see if this was common or I've just been unlucky. Thanks again
G

Hope you still got the receipt so you can bring the stuff back. Melamine flooring shouldn't have boards like you mention (most proper flooring shouldn't, but solid could have slight differences in widths, but never in the straightness of boards).
Or this DIY store has been landed with a bad copy-cat product.

Sponsored Links
Just adding a footnote to my post which might be useful for someone. I managed - without a fight - to get my money back on all the boards I'd purchased as a "goodwill gesture" which makes me a little suspicious that the company knows something is wrong with the manufacture of the boards. I hope if anyone else is reading this and is finding it impossible to keep the boards straight that they may realize the defect is not with them but the boards!
G

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back