Laminate flooring "popping up"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just moved into a property. It was built in 1989 so is fairly new.

The living/dining room is laminate floor.

Granted it looks lovely but it annoys the hell out of me because it is popping up in places, but it pops up badly in one place in particular.

Please look at the pic

The room is 4.5m wide and approx 500mm in from the stairs , in line with the right hand foot on the TV cabinet in the picture, the floor boards peak about 5mm!!!.

I have checked all the gaps on the width and the length and there is at least 10mm all the way round allowing the floor to move and breath.

So, why am i getting this peak.....I have no idea.

maybe its damp below the floorboards?

I have no idea who layed it or what product it is, all i can tell you is that the boards are about 10mm thick, they are not the cheapy thin boards.

So my real question is, how do i fix this problem?

Can I

a) Drill a small hole and inject with glue/resin
or
b) Drill a hole through the laminate to the floor, rawplug it and use a countersink screw to pull it down?

I know "b" is not preferable,

any ideas

thanks

Asoa

Sponsored Links
is the expansion gap clear with nothing in it
are the door frames undercut
is there clearance around pipes
is there an expansion gap in doorways
what is immediately to both sides off the hump
is there any heavy furniture in the area

Hi Big-All

is the expansion gap clear with nothing in it - yes, was some cork, but have removed it.

are the door frames undercut - yes, all clear

is there clearance around pipes - no pipes in room

is there an expansion gap in doorways - no doors in room

what is immediately to both sides off the hump - stairs to the right, nothing to the left

is there any heavy furniture in the area - no

Where are you based in Surrey?

I could send someone out (free of charge) to see what is causing the problem and they may be able to advise you on a solution.

You can check out our website (www.firstchoicefloorz.co.uk) if you want any further information.

Daniel
First Choice Floorz

Sponsored Links

I could send someone out (free of charge) to see what is causing the problem and they may be able to advise you on a solution.

You can check out our website (www.firstchoicefloorz.co.uk) if you want any further information.

Daniel
First Choice Floorz
Now that's a good way to advertise, then hope you get good feedback..Well done, hope he takes you up on your offer.

Hi Big-All

is the expansion gap clear with nothing in it - yes, was some cork, but have removed it.

are the door frames undercut - yes, all clear

is there clearance around pipes - no pipes in room

is there an expansion gap in doorways - no doors in room

what is immediately to both sides off the hump - stairs to the right, nothing to the left

is there any heavy furniture in the area - no

does the flooring extend into another room

is the flooring glued down [can you lift the edge]
is there underlay underneath
is the flooring laid at right angles to floor boards if fitted

if its a floating floor and its not moving the causes can be
glue or spilled paint where it shouldn't be
nails where they shouldn't be this can be through the boards to hold down a bump or panel pins left proud in the floor when laying digging into the boards from underneath
locking on raised board underneath
catching on frames
quadrant locking on the edge
heavy furniture
filled expansion gaps

have you checked every single inch especially around door frames

Aren't we suppose to put heavy furniture on laminate flooring? What about a large wardrobe and a double bed in a bedroom?

of course you can put heavy furniture on laminate but you need to be aware that it may need to be moved to a different area for a few mins to allow the floor to level
usually this will only happen once

put a cup on a sheet of paper and try pushing it :D
then lift the cup and watch the paper flatten ;)

Daniel
First Choice Floorz
Now that's a good way to advertise, then hope you get good feedback..Well done, hope he takes you up on your offer.

I doubt it ... the OP is based in Kent but nice try.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back