Laminate flooring rising

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We laid some laminate flooring with underlay on concrete floor 3mth ago throughout flat. In the lounge we inadvertently left gaps between flooring and wall. To hide gaps we bought profiles from ikea that we nailed in around perimeter of room.
The flooring started rising within 1mth in doorway between lounge and hall. I now can't even close the door.
Surfing today I found several articles saying you should leave gaps between wall and laminates as they expand. So what can I do to rectify? Should I remove the profiles? Someone suggested I lay end profile across the laminate in the doorway, affixing by drilling screws through it into concrete floor. Is that sensible?

Sponsored Links
If by gaps you mean the spacing between flooring and wall then that is an expansion gap and it needs to be there to allow for movement in the floor.

Unfortunately had you read the instructions of the flooring you bought I'm 99.9999999% sure it would have said DPM is needed to be laid, then the underlay goes down, then the flooring itself.

http://www.toolstation.com/search?searchstr=54683 29831

Sorry to say you have fukced up badly. What you should really do now is pull up everything and start again, making sure you lay the DPM as instructed and to leave an expansion gap all the way around the perimeter which the skirting then goes on top of to cover the gap.

You also need to make sure to get the right threshold. Laminate to laminate, laminate to carpet..etc etc. You need to spend the time to plan the job before making such a drastic mistake in future.. unless you are happy living in a fairground funhouse start again.

Once you made sure the floor has a working DPM, make sure you leave expansion gaps everywhere the laminate gets close to a wall or a pipe, etc. Scotias, or profiles as you wrote, must not be fixed to the floor but only to the walls.

Sponsored Links
If it's only causing problems at the door way the lack of an expansion gap can be remedied but cutting out an expansion gap , multi-tool would do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back