Laminate Flooring under skirting Help Pls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am new to this forum so please go easy on me. I am looking into replacing the wood flooring currently in our dinning room and conservatory as it is starting to look worn and raised in a few places.

An issue i have is the owners before us laid the floor and then the skirting on top around both rooms. I know this makes the job look better but looks like its going to cause me a problem replacing for a laminate floor due to the 15mm at least gap around both rooms. I would really like to avoid removing all the skirting boards and have to replace due to cost and work involved.

My question is are there any ways around this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
You could add a quadrant edging afterwards to the face of the skirting but it doesn't look that good and will end up getting knocked and scuffed and look rubbish.

The right way is skirting off, lay floor, refit skirting. As yours will be lower I'd suggest a taller skirting to cover where the original joint to wall was.

You could add a quadrant edging afterwards to the face of the skirting but it doesn't look that good and will end up getting knocked and scuffed and look rubbish.

The right way is skirting off, lay floor, refit skirting. As yours will be lower I'd suggest a taller skirting to cover where the original joint to wall was.
Agree with all of this. You could probably get away with removing the skirting from only 2 walls - if you start laying your skirting in the corner where the skirting remains.

However that would mean you'd have to refit the same size and style of skirting rather than fitting a taller skirting as suggested above. I guess it depends how easily you can get the existing skirting off without making a mess of the wall above.

Sorry for the intrusive question, but why on earth are you replacing a wooden floor with laminate???
Do you like plastic looking cheap stuff?
Are you aware that a normally worn wooden floor can be refurbished with little effort?
Of course if it's rotten, then it's got to go, otherwise i'll keep it.
A good sanding, 3 coats of ronseal floor varnish and use it for another 15 years.

Sponsored Links
Take a look at quickstep signature mate. The best looking laminate I’ve seen. Selling loads of it when people come in for wood. No maintenance as well.

Take a look at quickstep signature mate. The best looking laminate I’ve seen. Selling loads of it when people come in for wood. No maintenance as well.
£30/sqmetre for plastic on mdf???
No thanks!
A few quid more will buy wood.
It might look the same to generation plastic, but us old farts can recognise the beauty of wood and the ugliness of plastic.
A pig with lipstick is still a pig, someone said.

I was at haro in Germany last year. They had on the floor , wood , laminate , LVT click. No one could tell which was which. I was shocked.

Interested in the op issue also.

The previous owners in my house left the skirting board and trimmed it down to fit the laminate.

I don't understand how they managed to do it, and at some point I need to replace it, but don't know how without ripping the skirting in off the wall

Interested in the op issue also.

The previous owners in my house left the skirting board and trimmed it down to fit the laminate.

I don't understand how they managed to do it, and at some point I need to replace it, but don't know how without ripping the skirting in off the wall

They will have used a multitool, the blade just vibrates back and fourth at the end. To be honest I was considering doing doing it that way a few weeks ago, when I laid new floor covering on top of our old laminate. I decided to take the skirting off and refit over the top, just notching the bottom of the door frames.

They will have used a multitool, the blade just vibrates back and fourth at the end. To be honest I was considering doing doing it that way a few weeks ago, when I laid new floor covering on top of our old laminate. I decided to take the skirting off and refit over the top, just notching the bottom of the door frames.

Yeah I get that (I've also got one ) but I don't understand how he managed to get it all under the skirting. I can't even tell how I can get it up without first cutting a section.

Yeah I get that (I've also got one ) but I don't understand how he managed to get it all under the skirting. I can't even tell how I can get it up without first cutting a section.

They must have had an open edge to the laminate. I had one open side all along the longest wall and the wall adajcent to it, where it went under our kitchen units.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back