Laminate Flooring Warped?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

First time I've tried Laminate Flooring - I was told it is simple just click together.

I am finding it difficult is it me?

Laying it brickwork fashion as advised I am finding that I am having to stand on the longditudinal joints on the strip I've layed to click the next strip in. Also as you walk on the area I've layed the joints tend to open up.

I think the problem may be that the strips are bowed along their length - a good inch in the middle (curved up at ends).

Is this normal? - I've opened several packs and they all the same.

Sponsored Links
Yes they are a problem, put a ruler or may need something slightly thicker and put under the laminated board in the middle of the the next board so it lift the centre then it will click in.

The bow shouldn't be that much but if yours is 25mm then it's best to take it back to the shop.

first of all you should not lay in brick form. It should be layed random! approx 8 inch between headers. If layed in brick it not only looks rubbish but weakens the floor. Can cause gapping if subfloor uneven which should be flat and smooth to start with. As for the bowing it should not be like that. Check your boards with straight edge to see if it is the laminate or if you have managed to create the bow yourself by not starting and scribing floor straight. Who's flooring are you fitting?

Sponsored Links
Thanks

From what you say it looks like I have had a bum batch that have been stored badly by the supplier.

Some boxes are worse than others. Where I have managed to lay (force together) panels in some areas they spring up and down as you walk on them. Even to flex some panels flat before laying took some considerable force.

The floor was screeded with laminate flooring in mind by the builder and is quite flat, but I have also used underlay.

I meant random pattern - which I have used.

Only trouble is after wasting a couple of days, I have now got to take it up and do battle with a couple of sales assisstants. Wish me luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back