Curved flooring join - laminate to carpet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Looking to find some info on the best way to achieve a curved join between a laminate floor and carpet. I will be laying the laminate and hopefully we'll get someone in the lay the carpet. Ive seen those flexible joining strips which look ok - but I was wondering if anyone would be able to suggest the best way to go about it.

I was thinking of laying the laminate first "straight edge" and then getting the join strip and marking out on the floor where it will go. The next job would be to cut it out on the floor with a circular saw (again this is first thoughts so if anyone has any better suggestions they would be appreciated).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I've seen this done a couple of times on interior fit outs. The laminate/engineered flooring/solid wood flooring was laid to the approximate line of the curve - but a tad long. The curved edge was then finessed using a 1/2in router and a pre-made plywood template (BTW this can wreck the cutter). The stainless steel edging was then formed to the shape of the wooden flooring, then screwed and resin- bonded in position using the "fixing tabs" on the side. The edging I've seen used was a heavier version of this profile (sorry, couldn't find an illustration of the heavier type, but this illustrates the principle):

esf100.102_l.jpg

You can clearly see the tabs on the picture above. The carpet was laid a few days later. Note thst this was onto concrete/screed sub-floors

I guess that the templates used were CNC machined, but there is no reason why you couldn't make one up using 12mm MDF, nails, strings a jigsaw and a (belt) sander/sanding drum on a drill - so long as the edge shape and transitions are smooth

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back