Laminate flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to have a go at laying Laminate Flooring in my Hall. Can anyone give me any good advise on what type to buy. (ie, thickness, type of underlay etc). I would like to keep costs low, but not too low so it doesn't look good/last well.

Also part of my Hall has a curved stair step in the room. What would be the best way to put the Scotia edging against it, as I don't think you can get a curved edging.

And finally, I have been told to leave a 10mm gap all round the edge - does this not have to be filled with cork strips anymore.

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Sponsored Links
Why have you posted in Plumbing and Central Heating?
What sort of floor are you laying on to? ie timber, concrete etc....
The gap should be about 5mm not 10mm this is for expansion.
There are two ways to normally cover these gaps,
1) remove skirting and refit after floor is layed (only really practical if it's a refurb and new skirts are going to be fitted)
2) you use edging trim around the permitter of the room.

I'm going to have a go at laying Laminate Flooring in my Hall.

Not a job most plumbers would do on a regular basis

Can anyone give me any good advise on what type to buy. (ie, thickness, type of underlay etc). I would like to keep costs low, but not too low so it doesn't look good/last well.
The only place where you can get good looking, good quality for little money is call Utopia.

The only place where you can get good looking, good quality for little money is call Utopia.

Do they have a web address? :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Do they have a web address? :LOL:

Not a website with their products.
The good news is, that they have very competitive prices since they are not subject to vat as they are not located in the UK.
You can get very cheap tickets to go to their headquarters ( a bit like going on the channel ferry to buy cheap booze ) and see for yourself what they have to offer.

Fundamentalist_airlines.com for booking tickets at killer prices.

Apologies this is a somewhat late response to the original thread but I hope it is still valid. You appear to have had some quite random responses! To get to the question in mind - hallways are high traffic areas and demand a good laminate (AC4 rating or above) or you could consider LVC (Luxury vinyl click) or a Solid wood / Engineered wood option. All of these should meet your expectation for durability so it is then just a personal choice of style. Personally for a hallway I would go for the LVC option - you can get both wood and tile effect options and so should cover most design needs.

Also part of my Hall has a curved stair step in the room. What would be the best way to put the Scotia edging against it, as I don't think you can get a curved edging.
to get a straight piece of wood curved you can cut the offside with slots but depending how tight the curve is is how close those slots are together ;)

And finally, I have been told to leave a 10mm gap all round the edge - does this not have to be filled with cork strips anymore.
NO , you need that for contraction and expansion so don't fill with anything plus your using edging to cover that gap anyway , if not the skirting board will

if you like dust and having to sweep all the time then crack on with the laminate personally hate the stuff

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back