laminate kitchenworktop repair - HELP?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a marble effect laminate worktop in which I made a small (2cm x 2cm) burn in with a hot saucepan by the sink. It cracked the laminate and raised (bubbled) it from the chipboard underneath.

I carefully cut the laminate top in a square around the bubble and glued in some new laminate from the strip of the same stuff that you get for covering the bare ends of the work surface. Then filled the edges around it with the colour sealant you can buy to hide joins etc.

This worked fine for a while but water has now got in underneath and the patch is raising and water is getting to the chipboard. I do not want to have to replace the whole work top and I need to do something before the water 'blows' chip board.

I have a small piece of the work surface left and could cut out a 3cm diameter 'plug from this and insert it into a round hole that I can drill through the work surface.
BUT
I am afraid that the same thing will happen again round the edges of the 'plug', water will get in again after time and then the problem will be much bigger!

Please can anyone advise what I can do to repair this before it gets worse?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
your plug idea sounds good, even though a little brave, all i would suggest is give both the plug ang hole you make a good sealing with contact adhesive or similar, so if water gets in there is less chance of swelling and make sure the colour fill seals in well, done well it should work.

I would give the raw edges several coats of varnish before assembly to help keep the water at bay.

A nose around the DIY sheds timber cutting counter, or making friends with a kitchen fitter may yield some additional matching offcuts of worktop, should the need arise.

the trouble with a plug is not only will it be 3mm smaller it will have a hole in the center

you can get over the hole in the center buy using a hole saw with removable point and by clamping a bit off wood with a pre drilled hole in the area but you are still going to have to stop before you mark the worktop then get the plug you have just made out

so my suggestion would be make a successful plug first before cutting the damage out then you can match them up to save minimum filling in

Sponsored Links
Cut the plug with a router and a jig, not a holesaw. That'll work

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back