Laminate - thicker = more expensive?

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had someone come round and quote for laminating.

They said the thickness isn't what determines the price. Instead it's the quality of the wood.

I'm not a laminate expert.
But... is what he said true? I thought laminate was just cheap wood with a veneer?

I've been into B&Q many times. The first factor that gives a difference in price (as far as I can see is the thickness)

What's the difference between 6mm and 12mm in terms of last and quality?

In my ignorance I always assumed thick = longer lasting and better quality?

Looking for opinions from those who know ☺

Thanks

Sponsored Links
laminate is not wood. It's a photograph of wood glued onto manmade board, made of fine sawdust and glue.

Are you thinking of engineered flooring?

The thicker the laminate is usually better to walk on and feels stronger underfoot.
Quickstep impressive comes in 8mm an 12mm and no differerane about from 4mm and about £6m2

• Thanks
Reactions: OM2
@JohnD yes. ☺
So what difference is there between 6mm and 9mm and 12mm?

Sponsored Links
Some laminate has ratings referring to its toughness, e.g. AC4. Personally I wouldn't always go for thicker boards, as that might result in a (small) step up into the room.

Yeah thicker will be better quality imo
Quickstep impressive is one of the best mate. Hydro seal built into it so no problem with water ontop

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back