Laminate flooring questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. I know this is a DIY forum but since some of you know about the ins and outs of different quality floorings, I wonder if you could help me out, even though I won't be fitting it myself.

I want to get laminate flooring down in my hall and lounge. The hall is 17.5 ft long by 5 ft at it's widest but most of it is a narrow 2 to 3 ft wide, and the lounge is 12.6 ft by 10.6ft. The only finish I want is beech, you know, the very common finish that lots of people have. My brother has it and it was laid years ago by carpetright. He's had no problems with it and it gets a lot of traffic. Carpetright don't do it anymore and I don't like any of their other finishes. But their cheapest range (£7.99 sq m) is 7mm thick laminate and they quoted me a decent price of £556 including 10 boxes of laminate (£7.99 sq m), labour, underlay (2 packs @£49.99), beading and door plates.

Howdens do the finish I like in beech, this one
: http://www.howdens.com/product-range/flooring-collection/laminate-flooring/howdens/beech-4/

but it's only 6mm thick. Will this be any good? They don't seem to do that finish in 7 or 8mm. Do you know if they come round, measure and fit flooring and if so, am I likely to be paying much more for the laminate, underlay, trimmings and labour than that carpetright quote or about the same? My builder reckons the laminate would be about £10 sq m, but I don't know what quality he's referring to.

The other thing is, my hall has two small steps and the guy in carpetright says it's unlikely the laminate can be fitted to the vertical parts of the steps. Is that true? Otherwise, anywhere else you recommend I can look to get what I want for around £600 to £700 fitted?

Sponsored Links
Can't comment on installers, as I put the laminate down myself but a quick search shows that there are profiles for stairs and self-adhesive laminate for the vertical parts. I only opened the link to the Quick-step web site but would imagine the other manufacturers provide similar materials.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back