Laminate threshold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having my shop fitted with laminate flooring and am woried that the new threshold the fitters have shown me might be a trip hazard for customers. Can anyone advise me as to the regulations involved? The new floor will be 15mm higher than outside. The threshold looks to be about an inch.

Sponsored Links
anything is a trip hazard if you are not looking / distracted.

why not ask them this is a DIY forum after all.

other thing make a slope

anything over about 6mm could constitute a trip hazzard
if its 25mm high i would get a bit of 95mm widex13mm thick hardwood
i would taper the last 75mm down to 5mm then radius the last 5mm to half a pencil round

i would then place the strip 12mm from the floor for expansion and use a normal flat metal trim to bridge between them

i have purposly made the wood thinner by 2mm to start the slope down hill at the first opertunity

i would normaly suggest a 21mm thick bit of wood with a 16mm rebate and a 10mm overlap but in a commercial situation the 5mm thick front edge onto the floor would be vunerable to dammage hence the topping with a metal strip

Let’s call a spade and spade. When the fitters roll up ask them if this threshold they want to fit meets all the current heath a safety stands regarding trip hazards etc. If they say “yes mate fitted hundreds” them ask them to put it in black & white and watch there faces.

I would have thought in a shop all floors should be flat and level.

May be something like this would do the job

Sponsored Links
Thanks chaps, looking on Door Furniture Direct, it looks like the fitters have spec'd a D-shaped threshold come draught excluder. The bevelled threshold on the web looks better to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back