Laminate Worktop in Shower Area.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This might be a stupid idea...

I'm nearly finished renovating the bathroom.

Colour scheme is white tile, with a subtle hint of marble, for the wall, and black faux stone for the LVT floor and laminate counter tops.

The windows were previously boxed in with plain pine boards, no sills or anything like that.

I'm tiling the "walls" and "ceiling" of the recess to match the main wall.

On the main window (dry area) I'm using leftover worktop to make a window sill that extends into the room slightly and past the edges of the widow slightly too.

But there is also a recess in the shower area. There is an old single glazed window which is boarded over outside. Before I started the renovation, this was also boxed in with pine boards, but this time they had a hardboard back as well, which was then tiled over. But none of this was tanked.

I was just going to fill it and tile the wall flush, but the wife has demanded that the recess stay.

To that end, I'm going to put a stud frame next to the window itself, cut a block of insulating foam to fit and then put a piece of cement backer board over that. I will then tank what remains of the recess.

My plan then, IF it is viable, is to put in the laminate worktop "sill".

All cut edges will be sealed with silicone (unless you can recommend anything else) prior to installation.

Only factory sealed edges will be exposed.

Once installed I'm going to tile to it, rather than tile behind it. Then seal the joints with more silicone.

Thoughts?

The sill, while it will get wet, will not be directly under the flow of the shower head.

Will this work? Will it be OK? Or is it pure stupidity?

I've thought about tiling the sill, but I really wanted a bit of overhang and the exposed edges of tiles aren't pretty. So if I do tile, then it's going to have to be flush with either mitred joints or a trim edge.

I could use window board (wood and gloss paint or upvc) but I don't really like the look and it won't match the rest of the room.

Here's a quick sketch of where the window is, is right in a corner flush with the wall the shower is on.

20160713_221235.jpg

Sponsored Links
The edge of cut laminate worktop that sticks out wont be nice looking either, and be open to allow water in?

Sponsored Links
Pure stupidity, IMHO.
Fair enough, I thought it might be, but I had to ask.

The edge of cut laminate worktop that sticks out wont be nice looking either, and be open to allow water in?
In this case no, because all the cut edges are against a wall, the exposed edge and end are factory finished.

However, it's still probably not one of my best ideas, lol.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back