Laminate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have gone full circle on insulating bare floorboards and have decided I will install a good laminate for the ground floor of my house.

I’ve done LVT in my bathroom no probs.

One thing I just need to put my mind at rest:

The home really needs the laminate going the same way as the floorboards underneath.

while I will be getting the floor level etc, the consensus seems to be if it’s fairly think (8-10mm) laminate with a good quality underlay, it’s not necessary to board the whole thing. Some sources say lay boards underneath of going with the floorboard....but both my (very skilled) DIY neighbour and others on here say a good underlay is fine. Final opinions on this appreciated. it’s a lot more cost and effort and also it will make things really tricky around my fire surround.

only other thing is on the thickness. I am looking for a 12mm board as I want good solid flooring to take a kid filled family home. Is this overkill? Some brands 12mm is their commercial grade. I want the V4 grade, just heavy domestic.

lastly not sure if we can discuss brands but I see some Swiss Krono at good prices, not sure if this is any good or any other suggestions on good value, U.K. flooring direct gets good reviews but it’s hugely expensive and seems like the first google hit for people who don’t shop around.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Quickstep signature or impressive ultra is the best on the market IMO
Both with hydro seal built in so no worries with water on top

thanks mate, any advice on the floorboards going with the laminate?

good underlay ok or is it asking for trouble and best to ply over the boards.

It will look stupid if I run the laminate at 90 degrees to the existing floorboards

thanks

It’s fine to go the same way if they are flat. If cupped floorboards we screed them with level flex or similar.

Sponsored Links

I just searched for that and the cheapest I could get was approx £35 per square meter and for the signature it’s around £55 a square meter.

I can get real wood for that surely, why would you spend that much money on laminate?

I am Looking for £10-£17 a meter given the cost. I wouldn’t mind paying more of quality but that’s more than double my budget.

I thought you could get decent laminate under £35 a square M?

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back