lamintate up to hearth tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'll be finishing off laying laminate floor in my lounge this weekend and then tiling the fireplace.
What are people's thoughts on the best way to marry the two floor types (laminate and tiles) together?

I was thinking i could raise the fireplace base a little with some ply, then have the edge of the tiles overlapping the laminate. I would leave a 15mm gap in the tile adhesive along the edge that will meet the laminate, so follow the laminate guide lines of having a 10mm gap for the laminate to expand into. The tiles would then go over the edge of laminate.
The fireplace will contain a multifuel stove (aarrow ecoburn 7).

hope that makes sense!

or perhaps a diagram will help:

Sponsored Links
ah yes, forgot to mention. There will be a multifuel stove in the fireplace (aarrow ecoburn 7)

Have you studied the manufacturer’s installation instructions?
http://www.aarrowfires.com/public/pdfs/manuals/ecoburn.pdf
You give no sizes but what you’re proposing is unlikely to meet the installation instructions or comply with building regulations & would only be suitable for a low heat output, decorative only fire.

The stove/flue installation is also notifyable work unless undertaken by a HETAS installer & must also comply with other Building Regulations, here’s a useful overall guide;
http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/stove_building_regulations.html

A read of this will might also prevent you making other mistakes;
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=224751

Sponsored Links
Thanks for info links richard. Very useful.

I'm only doing the tiling myself, the stove and flue are being fitted by HETAS qualified engineer.

Looks like using ply under the tiles will not be an acceptible hearth material. I'll use concrete to raise the contructional hearth instead.
My engineer has said he'll pop round tomorrow morning to check it over anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back